Monday, July 14, 2014

First Family Vacation

Eric, Matthew and I just returned home from a much-needed Florida vacation with my side of the family. We had a great time. It was relaxing and quiet. We spent our days at the beach or by the pool and we took turns putting the baby down for his nap and getting him out of the sun when the time came. Vacationing with a little one is much different than vacationing without children.  It's not necessarily a worse time, it's just different and you have to plan things much differently.

Before Matthew, Eric and I would try to do as many excursions and try as many new restaurants and foods as we could when we went away, although I admit, I wish we had gone away on more vacations pre-parenthood as opposed to me being a frugal workaholic. Now, vacationing revolves around nap times, feedings and how long Matthew's been out in the sun.

Matthew did great on the airplane both to Florida and back home. He didn't fuss much and blessed mommy by falling asleep during take off and landing, so he didn't seem bothered by the change in air pressure. I on the other hand couldn't hear very well the first day there and the first day home. But enough about me, back to the baby.

He was mesmerized by the ocean and yelled back at the waves when they rolled in. He neither loved nor hated the sand, and he thoroughly enjoyed spending every day playing with his cousins. He didn't sleep well the entire vacation, and in turn, neither did mommy and daddy. Most nights, he ended up between us in the bed, and for being an 18-pound baby, he sure took up a lot of room.

Here is a snap shot of some of our time in the Sunshine State:

We shopped til we dropped on Monday... literally. When we went out for lunch Matthew took me by surprise and threw his head back and I almost dropped him, although he did fall back onto the table, causing a scene. He wasn't hurt, but screamed loud enough for the entire restaurant to turn and stare at the commotion. I was mortified and it showed on my face, which ensued more tears from my nine month old.

The next day, we laid by the pool and at night Eric and I met up with my college friend who is now living in Miami for cocktails at this trendy bar on the beach.  When we got back we celebrated my brother in law's birthday. Tuesday was a great day.

Wednesday morning we went back to the beach and then took a trip to Boca Raton and shopped with the rich. We spent a good chunk of time in Janey and Jack and bought Matthew the most adorable pants I think I've ever seen. I am pretty sure I could have spent hours in that store, but luckily for my bank account, my husband pulled me back to reality. Our shopping trip was then cut short by a very scary thunder and lightning storm. We then went out to dinner as a whole family and enjoyed delicious food with eachother and my parents' childhood friends. Another great day!

Thursday, Eric's last day there, we went on a boat ride where we saw these gorgeous mansions. We decided that in that area of Florida, you are either really wealthy, very poor or old. There isn't much in between. At least that was the perception I got.

Friday morning my dad and I dropped Eric off at the airport so he could get back in time for our friends' wedding, and I laid by the pool until the family went to Margate for dinner at our family friends' house. They live on a canal that connects to the Everglades and I searched for any signs of alligators to no avail. For those that know me personally, you know that I am fascinated by critters. I don't necessary want to touch or hold them, but I love to see them and observe them in the wild, in their environment - snakes and reptiles are my favorite. Call me weird, but they fascinate me.

Saturday was filled with packing and cleaning and then getting to the airport on time. Matthew flirted with a few girls in the airport while we waited to board the flight and then fell asleep during take off again. When he woke up he fussed a little bit, but not enough to really bother the other passengers. All in all, we had a great time, and I wish we didn't have to come back to reality so soon. Although I do love my own bed and Matthew feels the same way. He's slept straight through the past two nights in a row and has taken several long naps since we've been back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment