Thursday, July 17, 2014

When and if to have baby #2

When and if I am ready for baby # 2 has been a major topic of conversation among my mommy friends lately. Not just my online group, but my personal and coworker friends as well. I guess when you're gearing up for the first birthday, it becomes pretty commonplace to start hearing, "so when is baby number 2 coming along?"

For me, I am really enjoying my time with Matthew, so unless a miracle oops occurs, sorry folks, I am in no rush to become pregnant again. Do I want more kids? Of course. But right now? Not so much. I was really sick my whole pregnancy with Matthew, and although I know that symptoms can vary from pregnancy to pregnancy, I can't imagine chasing my almost 10 month old around, and at the same time trying anything and everything to prevent myself from puking my guts out every other hour. I am sure it's doable, but call me crazy, it doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

It feels like just yesterday that I was trying everything I could to get pregnant though and it seems selfish and hypocritical to now, just two years later, hear the words come out of my mouth that I am in no rush to try for another one. Maybe it's because I remember so vividly the disappointment, heartache and emotional toll that TTC took on me. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat for Matthew, but at this moment in time, I am in no rush to get back to that dark place before pregnancy.  I hope my struggles with infertility are a thing of the past, but if they are not, then I'll deal with it when the time comes. In the meantime, I am going to love my little guy to pieces and enjoy spending my one-on-one time with him, after all, he's the only child I'll be able to have one-on-one time with.

I have such sadness for my friends that are still awaiting their miracle babies. Everything we go through to get these precious babies are so worth it, but somedays, I look back and wonder how I got up and functioned every day? Some of my fellow infertiles are trying new treatments, others are moving onto adoption and some are just trying to grasp the concept of being childless or having an only child. I am thankful that I don't have to make that decision today or even tomorrow. But these are amazing women, who I admire so much. In fact, one of my friends started a new venture that will help parents of IVF children donate their extra embryos to other women in need. Her website is https://www.wombswaitingandwombswanted.com/home.html

There is a give away for five free profiles for embryo donor recipients. If you, or anyone you know, would be interested in it, send them to the website to enter the drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment