Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Mr. Personality

Matthew seems to have grown at laser light speed intellectually over the past few weeks. Since the start of June, he started feeding himself food, crawling with his belly off the floor, standing for a few seconds by himself and focusing more intently on objects. It's been incredible to watch him explore new things and become more aware of his surroundings.

Since June 1, he's also been extra clingy to mommy and began expressing his discontent through the form of screaming, kicking, and throwing himself into a backward arch position if I tell him no or try to put him down or give him to daddy so that I can get a few house chores done. This has been an eye opening experience, because how do you handle a not-quite nine month old who's getting a mind of his own? It's a little too early for time outs, but it's very trying at times when I can't seem to take 5 minutes to clean up the inch of dust that has been accumulating around the house. My allergies are telling me it's time to put the baby down and do my chores!

If you read my blog regularly, you may notice that I have a slight, irrational fear of the unknown, and my latest flash of anxiety is that I am parenting wrong. I love that my Matthew is a mama's boy, and I am thrilled that I am his favorite person, because quite frankly, he's my favorite person... (sorry Eric, Matthew edges you out ever so slightly) However, what if my actions now affect him long term? For example, if Matthew doesn't want to play on the floor and would rather be carried around, I pick him up and finish the vacuuming with him attached to my hip - literally. There's a small part of me that worries this behavior will only get worse as he grows older into his toddler years and then everyone will be talking behind my back, or to my face, about how my two year old runs the roost. 

My thought process now is that he is only this age for so long, and I want him to know that no matter what I will always be there for him. But on the other hand, I want him to grow up to be independent with a mind of his own, but with love and respect for others.

I guess, for now, I am going to continue to plug along and do what I feel is best. These phases are short lived and it won't be long before he decides he's too cool for mommy, so I am just soaking up the love and adoration... hopefully it lasts into his adult years.

No comments:

Post a Comment