Monday, September 29, 2014

Guess who's one!

Matthew turned one year old last Wednesday and it has been one heck of a celebration week! I took Wednesday off from work, mostly because I wanted to spend the day with my little man, but a small part of me also took off because I knew it would be an emotional day for me. I am thrilled to watch Matty grow, but a very small part of me is sad that my baby is no longer a baby. He will have no more first holidays, no more first steps, no more first laughs, and so on. He's officially a toddler who loves to run, laugh, babble, eat and play with his best bud Marley. 

So Wednesday morning, Matthew and I got up, ate some breakfast and went to get his first birthday pictures taken at Buy Buy Baby. He started off the photo shoot very serious and refused to crack a smile, but as he warmed up, his smile got wider and he started playing with some of the props. The photos turned out great! While we waited for the prints, we shopped around the store and Matthew picked out some blocks and a farm game that sings and makes animal sounds. He thought it was hilarious as I tried to mimic the snorts of the pig and the cluck of the chicken... the other moms in the store thought I may have lost it. I didn't care because we had a great time testing out the toys before we made our final selections.

Then, we did his other favorite activity and went grocery shopping for his birthday party! He was kind of over it though and let me know he was ready to go home at the check out by rubbing his eyes and whining. Even so, he refused to take a long nap, so we spend the rest of the afternoon snuggled up on the couch watching Disney Jr.

After his dad got home from work, we went to French Pub for Matt's birthday dinner, and then back home for cake and ice cream with his grandparents. Not that I had much doubt, but Matthew LOVED his birthday cake. He had such an exhausting day that he fell asleep right after his bath as I was putting on his pajamas. Although we didn't do anything super exciting, I think he had a fun day just hanging out with his mom and dad.

Saturday, we had a small family party where Matthew was the center of attention. It was a Jake and the Neverland Pirates theme, and the kids loved breaking a pinata of Jake and doing arts and crafts. It was a lot of work preparing for the party, and I definitely complained a lot about all that needed to get done, but it was worth all of the frustration and aggravation because he had a wonderful time with his aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins. Happy first birthday buddy! I love you.





No comments:

Post a Comment