Monday, March 24, 2014

Six months already!

Today, my Matty Luke turns 6 months old. Where has the time gone? It feels like yesterday that Eric and I were anxiously awaiting his arrival,  and it feels like yesterday that we could hardly sleep, counting down the minutes until we could call the hospital at 5 a.m. to see what time we could come in and start the pitocin. (I had to be induced because of pre-eclamsia symptoms).

Matthew was born on his due date, Sept. 24, 2013, at 3:22 p.m. The laboring process is kind of a blur, but I do remember going from mild contractions to holy crap I'm gonna die contractions in about 20 minutes. I remember setting a deadline of 3:30 p.m. to push him out. I even bet the nurse and midwife that I could do it. I do admit that at 8 a.m. I said I would have him by 2 p.m., but we adjusted it to 3:30 after a complication that made us have to slow things down a little - we needed Matty's heart rate to regulate and mommy to stop having blurred vision. We made it though, and when Eric told me that he was a boy, I couldn't believe that I had a son. I'll admit my first thought was "Yes, I was right again" since I said boy from the minute we found out we were pregnant, and Eric thought for sure he was a girl. But, in that moment, I couldn't imagine the love I would have for this little boy. It's overwhelming at times.

Matthew came into this world pretty calm. He cried for a few seconds but calmed right down when the doctor laid him on my chest. Six months on the outside and he's still a pretty calm baby who relaxes as soon as he gets into my arms. We truly do have a bond that I hope never gets broken. I hope as he grows, he always knows, and never doubts, that I love him with every ounce of my being, and that I will always be there to support him.

At birth, Matthew was 7 lbs 10 oz and 19 3/4 inches long. Today, at six months old, he's roughly 16 lbs and 26 inches long. He has two teeth and is working on a third - all on the bottom. He's a rolling machine, is attempting to scoot/crawl, and walks/runs when you put him on the floor and hold him up by your fingers. He babbles, but isn't saying any words yet. He's pensive and looks as though he's taking everything in, observing what everyone else around him is doing.

Matthew loves Marley and thinks she is the funniest thing in the world. He laughs at her when she barks and runs around the house like a mad puppy. When Marley comes and lays next to him the first thing he goes for is her eyebrows and/or beard. Marley just lets him.

He loves to be sung to and jump in his exersaucer, and he is starting to reach out to people when he wants to be picked up, and although he isn't the best eater when it comes to solid foods, he does love green beans.

He's growing up too quickly, but at the same time, it feels as if he's always been a part of my world. Matthew Lucas I love you forever and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment