Thursday, August 15, 2013

X ray vision?

I had my 34 week appointment on Tuesday, and I met a different doctor in the practice. So far all of the doctors/midwives that I have met have all been very nice and acceptable choices for delivery of Baby Spills. While I am more comfortable with a female doctor for some reason, I have to say that this male doctor was very pleasant and took the time to explain the things that he was doing during the examination.  For someone with the gift of gab, I find myself drawing a blank at each appointment when it comes to asking questions of the doctors, so it was a relief to me that he automatically talked me through the entire 10 minute appointment.

First, I was surprised when he told me that the baby is head down and in position. Baffled by his x-ray vision, I asked him how he knew, as I feel like I am getting a head butt to the ribs every night. He explained that years of experience and, by feeling my torso, he is able to know where the baby is at each stage of pregnancy - especially now that Baby Spills is anywhere from 4 to 5 1/2 pounds.

Next, I asked him about my nausea, headaches and dizzy spells that seem to catch me off guard at all hours of the day and night. He explained that in simple terms - I am pregnant and there's nothing to be done besides get up slower, stay hydrated and eat small, more frequent meals. All things that I have been doing for the past 8.5 months to no relief.

Finally, my favorite part of the appointment came when he took out the Doppler to hear the baby's heart rate. I was once again reassured when he said, "welp, it sounds like a baby." Thank God, because some of these crazy dreams I've been having include me delivering puppies, snakes and unisex dolls.

It's hard to believe that in roughly 38 days I will be due to deliver my bundle of joy. I wouldn't mind the baby coming a little sooner, but I know that when the baby is ready, he or she will make their grand debut! 

No comments:

Post a Comment