Thursday, May 23, 2013

People Say the Darndest Things

Why do people see a pregnant woman and say whatever pops into their heads? In everyday life, I am pretty sure you wouldn't go up to a stranger and  say "wow you're gut is really getting bigger," but because I am having a child soon, this exact quote was said to me just the other day. A part of me wanted to rebut, "yea, so is yours," but I held my tongue, smiled and said "ah the joys of pregnancy."

Other people have the audacity to say to pregnant women, "are you sure there's only one in there?" or "Wow, I can't believe you're only xx weeks along, I would have guessed you were much farther." Seriously? I dare someone to say one of these faux pas to me in the next few weeks, because I am pretty sure my response will be something along the lines of "yep, I am due in September, what's your excuse" or "yea, it's true, I am due in September, and by the looks of how you are carrying, I'd say you're having a boy a few months before me."

In all honesty, I feel pretty great right now and I am glad to finally be showing enough for people to know that I am not just fat, rather I am indeed pregnant. But something about the words "your gut" really rubbed me the wrong way. Referring to my expanding stomach as "baby bump" sounds so much cuter and more polite. So a word of advice, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all. And think of the expectant mother's feelings before you blurt out something along the lines of "Holy sh*t balls you're getting fat!"

No comments:

Post a Comment