Friday, November 20, 2015

Adjusting to being a working mom

Back in my twenties, I would have sworn up and down that I would never want to be a stay at home mom. Even when I was desperately trying to have a baby, I always thought that I would be so bored at home "just taking care of my kids." Oh how I am eating my words.

I would give anything to be able to spend all day with them now. They are seriously the coolest kids in the world.  When I was out on maternity leave, we were in this groove where we'd wake up, eat breakfast, play for a few hours or go on an "adventure"to the grocery store or to the zoo, and then I'd put both kids down for a nap. I can't believe that actually happened almost every day, and during that quiet time, I'd get the chores done, start dinner or sit and have a second cup of coffee. It was blissful. I even found myself really enjoying cooking - a task that, before Avery, was one that I always dreaded.

Now that I am back at work, I am missing those "blissful" days. Getting to spend just a few hours of the day with them isn't enough. By the time I walk in the door, it's dark outside, the kids need dinner, baths, some playtime and then bedtime by 9 p.m. I miss them, and they are right here with me. My weekends are filled with playing catch up on household chores, laundry and grocery shopping. I'm lucky I have a husband that does his fair share of chores, because otherwise I think I'd go insane. 

I love my job and what I do for a living, but I miss my kids when I am at work. I know they are in good hands, but they are not my hands, and so in closing I'm envious of all you stay at home moms out there.

Here are some updated photos of my prides and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment